Husband who lost wife and daughter in Maldives scuba diving tragedy breaks silence with powerful claim

Credit: Facebook / Project Seagrass & Instagram/ Giorgia Sommacal

The man who lost his wife and daughter in the infamous scuba diving tragedy that took place last week in the Maldives has broken his silence.

The deaths of no less than five Italian divers in a scuba diving accident last Thursday in Vaavu Atoll, in the Indian Ocean archipelago, has shocked the world. Authorities were reportedly alerted to the group’s disappearance at around 1.45 p.m. local time, with an urgent search operation immediately undertaken.

With the tragic mystery still unfolding, one Maldivian military rescue diver then died from decompression sickness during a recovery mission.

The five divers who lost their lives included University of Genoa marine biology professor Monica Montefalcone and her 20-year-old daughter Giorgia Sommacal. The other victims have been named as Muriel Oddenino, Gianluca Benedetti, and Federico Gualtieri.

Italy’s foreign ministry said in a statement: “The divers are reported to have died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 metres [164 feet].”

Now, the husband of marine biology professor Montefalcone – and father to Sommacal – has spoken out to question how five divers could have died on the trip.

Despite various experts criticizing the decision to dive so deep, Carlo Sommaca told Italian newspaper La Repubblica that his wife “would never have put the life of our daughter or other kids at risk.”

Speaking to The Times, he added: “My only certainty is that my wife is one of the best scuba divers on the face of the earth.”

In a third, separate interview with the Associated Press, Sommaca said: “Something must have happened.”

Pulmonologist Claudio Micheletto told Italian news agency Adnkronos: “It’s likely that something went wrong with the tanks.”

He continued: “Death from oxygen toxicity, or hyperoxia, is one of the most dramatic deaths that can occur during a dive — a horrible end.”

Officials have stated that the area where the group was diving – around 60 miles south of Malé – capital of the Maldives, had been experiencing volatile weather. Adverse conditions meant that recovery efforts were temporarily suspended on Friday due to turbulent seas.

Reportedly, the Vaavu Atoll cave diving disaster ranks as the deadliest single diving incident in the history of the Maldives. Various experts have weighed in on what could have killed the group, with theories including oxygen toxicity and panic inside the underwater cave system.

READ MORE

  • How only survivor of deadly Maldives scuba diving trip managed to escape death
  • Police make disturbing discovery at Brandon Clarke’s home after NBA star dies at 29

Related Posts

This 18-year-old didn’t know his symptoms were cancer

Rhys Russell was just 18 when his life was tragically cut short by a silent, fast-moving form of cancer that offered almost no warning.

From zero to five: Childless and struggling couple welcomes triplets and twins – in less than a year

The couple tried to have children for three years before their life took a series of dramatic turns.

Man with world’s biggest p***s claims many A-list hookups

Man with world’s biggest p***s claims many A-list hookups. Newsner give you the news that truly matters to you!

Donald Trump says US has taken out ‘world’s most active terrorist’ in latest military operation

Read more after President Donald Trump claimed that the US has taken out ‘world’s most active terrorist’ in latest military operation.

Heartbreaking twist in Maldives diving tragedy as rescuer dies

Mohammed Mahdi lost his life while taking part in the operation in Vaavu Atoll, where teams have been searching for missing divers.

How only survivor of deadly Maldives scuba diving trip managed to escape death

Read more to find out how the only survivor of the deadly Maldives scuba diving trip managed to escape death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *